It’s starting to get a little chilly here in Australia. And when the cold starts to descend upon us, it’s time for the slow-cooker to come out of the cupboard!
Today I’m going to teach you a fab recipe that will have your friends and family thinking your are a master in the kitchen!
It’s simple to make, low carb, high fat, meat-based, delicious, nutritious and will feed you for days.
So, why a slow-cooker?
Slow-cookers can be used for so many things. I highly recommend purchasing one. But there are several reasons it’s so great for cooking meat:
- You can buy a large cheap cut of meat, like brisket, that if cooked like steak, would end up being too tough and chewy and not pleasant at all, and turn it into mouth-watering, super soft and the most delicious meal.
- You don’t need to actively cook the meat yourself, the slow cooker does all this, giving you plenty of time to do whatever else you have to do.
- It is not dangerous to leave on, it doesn’t burn the food if left on too long.
- You can put it on at night, before you go to bed, and wake up to the most beautiful aromas the next morning.
What’s not to love about all that?! Cheap food that cooks itself, tastes amazing, is great for you and feeds the whole family.
Yes, eating nutrient dense food doesn’t have to be expensive and time consuming!
What are some other meals you can make in a slow cooker?
So hopefully I’ve convinced you to buy a slow-cooker… now let me show you just how simple this recipe is…
- 1.5-2 kgs beef (use cheap cuts like brisket, chuck, round, blade, silverside)
- 1 liberal dash salt (sea salt or pink Himalayan)
- any other seasoning or spices of choice (such as sage, rosemary, oregano, parsley, pepper - optional)
- 4 cloves garlic (optional)
- 1 onion (optional)
- 2 carrots (roughly chopped) (optional)
- 2-4 sticks celery (roughly chopped) (optional)
- 1/2 bottle red wine (optional, you can use water too)
- olive oil or other fat like lard or tallow
Put the beef in the slow cooker.
Cover it in salt and rub it really well.
Then add the other herbs: sage, oregano, parsley, rosemary, pepper. Rub them into the meat.
Chop the onion, smash the garlic, rub it over the meat and chuck in the pot.
Add the chopped carrot and celery.
Pour in the wine (or water) and olive oil.
Here you have some options: you can let the meat marinate in the fridge overnight or you can let it cook straight away. Your call, no right or wrong.
(If you marinate: Put the slow cooker in the fridge with the lid on and let the beef soak overnight in the pot. You should turn the beef over and let it sit in the juices for a couple of hours at least each side. The more it sits in the juices, the more it marinates.)
Cook on low over the day or night (8-12 hours)
(Check your individual slow cooker instructions to understand its individual timing/temperature needs better.)
The meat should be soft and it should fall apart. Check with a fork.
Enjoy with eggs for breakfast or for dinner that night (you can re-heat in the slow cooker).
N.B. Don’t throw away the juices!! Eat them with the meat or pour them on other foods like veggies, cauli mash or eggs (its full of good stuff like collagen).
Please comment below if you love your slow-cooker and what you like to use it for!
To your slow-cooked meat-fueled health,